The strategic geographical location of Panama and the existence of the Panama Canal have earned the Republic of Panama a very prominent position between the maritime nations of the world. At present, Panama is an international crossroads and an important distribution center, with the worlds largest fleet. The maritime sector of the Republic of Panama contributes the 20% of the national GIP.
The legislation of Panama provides substantial incentives to the manufacturing, trade and tourist industry. Free zones facilities, an international banking, financial and shipping center, insurance and reinsurance activity, complements the scenario, inducing key corporate players and entrepreneurs to consider the Republic of Panama as the ideal recipient of capital investments and businesses operations.
ICAZA, GONZALEZ-RUIZ & ALEMAN continuously offers a wide range of legal services to the international maritime community. Maritime law has been at the core of our practice since 1920. Some of our areas of expertise include without limitation:
- Corporate Structure & Finance Arrangements for shipping enterprises
- Vessel and Ship ownership registration/insurance
- Acquisition or disposal of vessels
- Cross-border transactions
- Advise on the most appropriate registration choices (jurisdictions & flags)
- Maritime Litigation
- Attachment and arrest of vessels
- Drafting and negotiation of credit & security instruments
- Maritime contracts in general