Consumer Protection & Competition
ICAZA, GONZALEZ-RUIZ & ALEMAN has a team of specialized attorneys with vast experience in the regulations in force applicable to free competition and consumer protection, in every field.
Our team has the capacity to offer:
- Legal advice in consumer protection and defense of competition law.
- To advice and handle every kind of proceedings (administrative and judicial) regarding this matter.
- Review of contracts and other documents to adjust them to the corresponding regulations.
- To procure licenses, authorizations and queries before the competent administrative authorities.
In this context, we represent several providers which offer their goods and services to consumers and users, and in particular, we offer advice to prevent risks of any possible legal actions. In this area, we usually assist banks, financial entities, communications and information technology enterprises, as well as providers of every kind of goods.
Since the year 1996, due to its incorporation to the World Trade Organization, Panama updated its laws regarding consumer protection, approved laws in the matter of defense of competition, and privatized its public utilities of telephone and electricity. Since then, regulations to protect consumers and users, in different fields (e.g. banks, insurance, securities, regulated activities, etc.) have been introduced, and the Consumer Protection and Defense of Competition Authority, the Regulatory Entity of Public Services, the Superintendence of Banks, the Superintendence of Insurance, the Superintendence of the Securities Market, were created and empowered.
For further information
- Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán Recognized in LACCA Approved 2018
- New Immigration Requirements for Venezuelan Nationals
- Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán ranked in Chambers & Partners Latin America 2018
- Financing of complex projects in Central America: Miami round table
- An analysis of the legal framework for entrepreneurs in Panama