Energy & Hydrocarbons
Our strength lies in the combined expertise in the fields of energy, environmental law, power generation, including green energy, and distribution, as well as experience on all administrative law aspects, and planning development for various sectors, including residential development, ecotourism, petro terminals and its facilities, recycling services, distribution and land / maritime dispatch of hydrocarbons, transportation projects, power generation projects of different natures, railway, ports and airport facilities.
Our firm Energy and Power Team often work in conjunction to our specialists in the areas of Public and Administrative Law, or Finance and Banking. Within the Energy practice, we represent our clients in all aspect related, but not limited to:
- General legal advice on energy laws and regulations
- Administrative and civil and proceedings
- Concession Regimes for the construction and operation of hydroelectric and geothermal electricity generation plants, as well as for electrical power transmission and distribution activities for public services.
- Negotiation and drafting of license and operations agreements
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements on power purchase
- Acquisitions of energy and power companies
- Structuring and execution of privatization proceedings
- Public Bids
- Finance of thermal, hydroelectric plants and distribution companies
- Joint-venture agreements for energy projects
- Investigation and government audits
- Defenses against customer complaints
- Negotiations with the National Public Services Authority (ASEP) to solve regulatory issues
- Evaluation and comments on behalf of our clients to proposed updates on energy laws and regulations.
For further information
- Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán ranked in Chambers & Partners Latin America 2018
- Financing of complex projects in Central America: Miami round table
- An analysis of the legal framework for entrepreneurs in Panama
- The Spin-Off as a Corporate and Tax Planning Tool
- We participated in the 2017 INTERPOL International Law Enforcement IP Crime Conference