Luis Chalhoub has been a partner at Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán since 2013. With over thirty years of experience, he specializes in Administrative Law, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Consumer Protection & Competition, Mergers & Acquisitions, Insurance, and Re-Insurance, and Trust Services.
He is a consultant on Commercial Law in general, Banking Law, Capital Markets, International Trade, Economic Integration, Competition Law, Consumer Protection, and Free Zones. Due to his expertise, Luis is regularly involved in high-profile banking and capital market transactions.
He is also a professor at Universidad Santa María La Antigua, Graduate School of Law, Commercial Law, and Banking Law. In addition, he has been a Professor in the International Trust Training Diploma of the Latin American Federation of Banks.
Luis has been recognized as a leader in Banking and Finance in Panama in publications such as IFLR 1000 and Who’s Who Legal.
In 2021, he was elected President of the Board of Directors of the Superintendency of the Securities Market of Panama, and he is an active member of STEP’s Panama branch.
- Southern Methodist University, USA: Research Assistant in the Chair of Private International Law, 1986.
- Santa María La Antigua University, Panama: Professor of Commercial Law, Introduction to Law and Fiscal Law at the Law School.
- Inter-American University of Panama: Professor of Principles of International Commercial Contracts, Banking Contracts and New Commercial Contracts, Law School (Post-Graduate).
- University of Panama: Professor of Principles of International Commercial Contracts, Faculty of Law (Post-Degree).
- License Certificate: 1985
- ICAZA, GONZÁLEZ-RUIZ & ALEMÁN, Partner since 2013 – Associate (2000 – 2012).
- Commission of Free Trade and Consumers Affaires (CLICAC), Legal Executive Director (1997 – 1999)
- Colon Free Zone, Legal Counsel (1991 – 1997).
- Sistemas Jurídicos, S.A., Director of Legislation (1989 – 1990)
- Arellano, Chalhoub & Asociados, Partner
- Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Responsible of the Academic Commission, President of the Panama Chapter (2012-2014).
- International Law Society.
- Panama Bar Association, Panamanian Association of Executives (APEDE), of which he has been the Chairman of the Juridical Commission of APEDE (2002 – 2003 and 2003 – 2004) Director and Secretary to National Matters (2003- 2004 and 2004 – 2005), Chairman of the CADE Commission (2009), Assistant General Secretary (2011 – 2012).
- Panama contributor of the publication “Doing Business” of the World Bank, (2006 2015)
- “Mergers & Acquisitions” 2013 – 2015 – Panama Chapter, Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research, London.
- Co-author of the “Conferences about Panama Trusts, Panama Private Interest Foundations and its main uses in Panama, 2005.
- Casuistry of the Trust subject to the Analysis of the Panamanian Courts.
- Co-author of the Panamanian Chapter on the International Commercial Fraud, published by Sweet & Maxwell (2002).
- Author of Legislation Index (Indice de Legislación), Sistemas Jurídicos (1990).
- Co-author of the West’s Spanish-English / English-Spanish Law Dictionary (1986).